[Python-ideas] Adding iOS/Android support to Python

Russell Keith-Magee russell at keith-magee.com
Sun Oct 26 01:36:32 CEST 2014

Hi Nick,

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 October 2014 12:20, Russell Keith-Magee <russell at keith-magee.com>
> wrote:
> > I'd like to start supporting more recent versions of Python - most
> > importantly, Python 3. While I could certainly continue maintaining
> patches
> > externally (and I imagine I'll have to if I want to maintain Python 2.7
> > support), I'd like to see that effort integrated into Python's
> repository.
>
> Maintaining support for new versions of existing platforms is already
> within scope for Python  2.7, so if you get this working for Python 3,
> it *might* be possible to make the case for 2.x. However, it would
> only be feasible to make that determination after we had a better idea
> as to the magnitude of the changes involved, and the risks introduced
> for other platforms.

Good to know - I'll keep this in mind.

> > In particular, there are four areas where I can see changes required:
> >  3) Disabling certain modules on mobile platforms. Supporting modules
> like
> > linuxaudiodev, ossaudiodev, readline, curses, idle and tkinter on mobile
> > platforms doesn't make much sense; modules likes bsddb and bz2 are
> difficult
> > to support due to library dependencies; and the need for modules like
> > multiprocessing is arguable (and difficult to support on mobile). Even
> > providing a Python executable/shell is arguable for these platforms.
> >
> > However, I would anticipate that 3 might raise some concerns, as the
> general
> > Python "batteries included" philosophy would be modified to "unless
> you're
> > on one of these platforms". Any guidance on whether this approach would
> be
> > palatable? Is there any precedent for "module not supported on platform
> X"
> > that I'm not aware of?
>
> Yes, platform specific features are actually quite common (search the
> docs for "Availability:"). It's just the fact that folks writing
> cross-platform code tend to avoid those modules/features, so they're
> largely only known to folks writing lower level (or otherwise platform
> specific) code.

Good point - I hadn't thought about the OS-specific bits of the existing
std lib.

> > Any platforms where Python is *only* available as a
> > library?
>
> The CPython main.c is a fairly thin shim around Py_Main anyway, so I
> don't see it as a big deal whether the standard CLI is included as
> part of the mobile builds.

Ok - I'll keep that in mind as I work on my patches.

> > So - am I completely wasting my time? Are patches for mobile platforms
> > likely to be accepted into Python's repository?
>
> I think both iOS and Android are well and truly established enough now
> as platforms to be worth targeting directly. For the CI problem, it
> may be worth approaching Xamarin, as setting up the infrastructure for
> doing that ourselves looks like a formidable engineering challenge we
> don't currently have the relevant skillsets to provide.

Is this said in the context of "we (Python) have an existing relationship
with Xamarin, and we should lean on those contacts", or "we should really
develop a relationship with Xamarin"?

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)