[Python-ideas] issubclass(collections.OrderedDict, collections.Sequence)

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Oct 7 22:00:25 CEST 2014

On 10/07/2014 12:45 PM, Ram Rachum wrote:
> I'm sorry that I offended. I didn't mean to imply anything about anyone's intelligence by saying "I don't see what the
> problem is", I was just saying I don't see what the problem is, and if I someone sees a problem I didn't, I'll be happy
> to have it pointed out to me so we can discuss it, and if the other person agrees that there isn't a problem, we can
> move on.

Text communication is difficult, considering a large portion of human communication is via body language and intonation.

> I implemented classes for this in my project and I'll see whether it's useful (I'm already getting the feeling that a
> `DefinitelyUnordered` base class is more useful as it's easier to capture the unordered than the ordered.) If it proves
> useful, I'll write back and if there'll be interest to put something like this into Python, that'll be cool.

The big hurdles for getting anything new into Python are:
   - general applicability
   - additional expressive power
   - easing of hard-to-get-right tasks
   - etc.

Claiming that something is so (such as Enum serial numbers) is not sufficient to make it so.  You have to provide
examples either from other languages or actual code that prove it, and hopefully be able to demonstrate that the need is
greater than just your code base.

--
~Ethan~