[Python-ideas] Better stdlib support for Path objects

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Oct 7 15:17:31 CEST 2014

On Oct 07, 2014, at 07:54 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>A single dispatch generic function as an adapter API would be another
>option, but would likely pose bootstrapping problems for the lowest level
>interfaces like os.path and the open builtin.

I wouldn't expect low level APIs like os.path and built-in open to accept Path
objects.  pathlib already covers most of those use cases, and whatever is
missing from there can probably be easily added.   It's higher level libraries
accepting Path objects that is more interesting I think.

Cheers,
-Barry