[Python-ideas] Python-ideas Digest, Vol 90, Issue 30

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu May 22 17:39:57 CEST 2014

On 22 May 2014 16:29, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> I would not say the idea was debated.  You can read the (short) thread here:
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-December/123022.html .
> Mark Shannon proposed emitting different bytecode for while loops and some
> other constructs.  Guido said no PEP was needed.  Nick Coghlan said "main
> challenge is to keep stepping through the code with pdb sane" (I agree with
> that!). I said it would be good to have a way to disable optimizations,
> Guido said "+1".
>
> I put this idea here because the discussion on issue2506 got involved enough
> that someone suggested this was the right place for it. I linked to Guido's
> sentiment in my initial post here, and had hoped that he would chime in.

OK, thanks for the summary.

Personally, I still think the biggest issue is around pyc files. I
think any proposal needs an answer to that (even if it's just that
no-optimisation mode never reads or writes bytecode files). Expecting
users to manually manage pyc files is a bad idea. Well, that and any
implementation complexity, which I'll leave to others to consider.

Paul