[Python-ideas] Python-ideas Digest, Vol 90, Issue 30

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu May 22 11:02:06 CEST 2014

On 22 May 2014 09:52, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> adding some flags than can affect the level of "optimization" you make
> the model more complicated to understand for users, and to support for
> us.

As a concrete example, note my earlier comment about pyc files.
Switching off optimisation results in unoptimised bytecode being
written to pyc files, which could then be read in a subsequent
(supposedly) optimised run. And vice versa. This may not be a huge
problem for the coverage use case, but it does add an extra level of
complexity into the model of caching bytecode. Handwaving it away as
"not a big deal - just delete the bytecode files before and after the
coverage run" doesn't alter the fact that the bytecode caching model
isn't handling the new mode properly.

Paul