[Python-ideas] Python-ideas Digest, Vol 90, Issue 30

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Thu May 22 04:03:22 CEST 2014

On 5/21/14 8:10 PM, dw+python-ideas at hmmz.org wrote:
> Agreed, and so I'd suggest a better fix would be removing the peephole
> optimizer, for the little benefit that it offers, if it could be shown
> that it really truly does hinder peoples' comprehension of Python.
>
> It seems the proposed feature is all about avoiding saying "oh, don't
> worry about that for the moment" while teaching, assuming the question
> comes up at all.

The point is not about teaching Python.  It's about getting useful
information from code analysis tools.  When you run coverage tools or
debuggers, you are hoping to learn something about your code.  It is bad
when those tools give you incorrect or misleading information.  Being
able to disable the optimizer will prevent certain kinds of incorrect
information.

--Ned.