[Python-ideas] Make Python code read-only

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue May 20 23:21:35 CEST 2014

On 05/20/2014 01:32 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>>> * The sys module cannot be made read-only because modifying sys.stdout
>>> and sys.ps1 is a common use case.
>>
>> I think this highlights the biggest concern with defaulting to
>> read-only.
>
> Hum, maybe my email was unclear: the read-only mode is disabled by default.

Ah, that's good.

> Another option is to have a list of modules which should be made
> read-only, configurable by the application.

Or a list of modules that should remain read/write.  As an application dev I should know which modules I am going to be
modifying after initial load, so as long as I can easily add them to a read/write list I would be happy (especially when
it came time to debug something).

--
~Ethan~