[Python-ideas] logging.config.defaultConfig()

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri May 16 13:34:54 CEST 2014

On 16.05.2014 11:54, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>> While I agree that importing a module might not be the right way, having
>> a standard way to configure logging via environment variables might be
>> helpful.
>
> I entirely disagree. An environment variable is a very lousy way to
> specify a configuration file's location; and there is no reason to have
> a common logging configuration for all Python applications.

Hmm, it's a fairly standard way to define config file locations esp.
on Unix platforms, so I don't follow you here. Perhaps I'm just
missing some context.

Such env vars are often used in application environments to override
system defaults, e.g. for finding OpenSSL or ODBC config files.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 16 2014)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/