[Python-ideas] Nested dictionaries

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Mar 29 23:20:16 CET 2014

On 3/29/2014 11:36 AM, Richard Prosser wrote:
> I know that there are good solutions like the one at
> http://ohuiginn.net/mt/2010/07/nested_dictionaries_in_python.html

You can file a request on the tracker asking that this simple 4-line
example be added to the doc.

 >>> class NestedDict(dict):
...     def __getitem__(self, key):
...         if key in self: return self.get(key)
...         return self.setdefault(key, NestedDict())

 > or by using defaultdict but I feel that this really
 > should be part of the language.

It is. You just have to copy and paste ;-).
Actually, I am being serious. The example is an application of
dict.setdefault, which *is* in the language.

--
Terry Jan Reedy