[Python-ideas] Infix matrix-multiply, but not general infix operators?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 09:58:47 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Jared Grubb <jared.grubb at gmail.com> wrote:
> But I cant help feel that Andrew's idea didnt get the appreciation it should. (But hey, I'm biased because I like the idea :))
>
> Jared
>
> QUICK SUMMARY OF ANDREW'S EMAIL:
> (Not a proposal for syntax or naming)
>
>     m `cross` n
>     m `dot` n

Sometimes a proposal fails because no good syntax can be found for it.
The strongest objection to my PEP 463 on exception expressions is "I
don't like the syntax", and to date nobody's come up with a syntax
that everyone likes. (Four proposals in the PEP itself, all somewhat
flawed.)

In the above case, the proposal somewhat falls down for the same
reason. Backticks have been, by BDFL fiat, banned from syntax; either
that decision has to be reversed, or some other syntax has to be
figured out. People will love or hate the proposal based on the
tentative syntax, and the "grit on Tim's monitor" check, and such.

ChrisA