[Python-ideas] Python Numbers as Human Concept Decimal System

Mark H. Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 00:39:59 CET 2014

On Friday, March 7, 2014 3:24:06 PM UTC-6, Andrew Barnert wrote:

> The decision was discussed at the time, and all the pros and cons were
> hashed out. If you're not willing to read that discussion, your opinion
> that the change was a mistake is worth exactly as much as that of any
> individual user who asked for the change.
>
> hi Andrew,  I am satisfied that the problem is well understood and that we
no longer
need to discuss the root cause, nor the computer science of trying to
represent
numbers in memory that are not representable. I admire you guys too much to
keep
going with the previous discussion.  I am completely satisfied with Guido's
last
answer (thank you, by the way), and I look forward to seeing how the
community
will address the main issue.

if there
might be any way you could think of wording that, in future dialogue?

The response quoted above is not only another *ad hominem* attack, it is
also a
straw man attack.  Your presumption that I am unwilling to read the
discussion
archive is unfounded and faulty thinking. In fact, I began a thorough
attempt to
understand the previous discussion as soon as I discovered the need through
Steven's revelation last evening. In fact, I am very interested in the
discussion
which led to the decision in question. I not only find it interesting
philosophically
I also am interested in who was involved and how they were thinking at the
time.  Of course none of that changes my opinion at this time that the
decision
was not correct.   I don't fully know yet, but I think it was made the way
many
decisions are made by young men;  like lightning,  ---shortest path to
ground.

It would be helpful going forward in future discussions with me that you
presume
not to put words in my mouth, nor to presume to know how I think or feel,
nor
presume to attack my character or my person.  I would really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
marcus