[Python-ideas] A python bridge between versions

Giampaolo Rodola' g.rodola at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 12:33:02 CET 2014

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:

> For that matter, have you actually checked whether those libraries really
> are blocking you? I've lost count of the number of people who've claimed
> they can't switch to Python 3 because of some library that's been ported
> since 2010 or that has a 3.x-compatible drop-in replacement.

The problem you mention here is absolutely *real*.
It's not only a matter of whether all your deps have currently been ported
already.
Software evolves over time and you can also remain stuck later, when you
suddenly decide you need lib X and lib X hasn't been ported yet (uh-oh!
what do I do now?).
And please, note that *as of now* lib X includes names such as Twisted and
Paramiko, which means hundreds of thousands of users which are stuck as we
speak.
How can a company decide to make the switch starting from such an
assumption? The assumption that lib X or Y might not be ported soon, or
even *ever*?
IMHO as long as we won't get close to a 100% of libs being ported the
current situation is not likely to change.
FWIW here's some stats (inspired by recent Brett Cannon's post about
openstack): http://stackoverflow.com/a/22113627/376587

--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com