[Python-ideas] Iterating non-newline-separated files should be easier

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 01:28:23 CEST 2014

On 26 Jul 2014 04:33, "Andrew Barnert" <abarnert at yahoo.com.dmarc.invalid>
wrote:
> As I've said before, I don't really like the design for '\r' and '\r\n',
or the fact that three separate notions (universal-newlines flag, line
ending for readline, and output translation for write) are all conflated
into one idea and crammed into one parameter, but I think it's probably too
late and too radical to change that.

It's potentially still worth spelling out that idea as a Rejected
Alternative in the PEP. A draft design that separates them may help clarify
the concepts being conflated more effectively than simply describing them,
even if your own pragmatic assessment is "too much pain for not enough
gain".

Cheers,
Nick.