[Python-ideas] .pyu nicode syntax symbols (was Re: Empty set, Empty dict)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:07:35 CEST 2014

On 1 July 2014 10:33, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 06:38:37PM +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
> [...]
>> 1) Do I really think anyone *should* do this? Your subsequent comments
>> support this question, and the answer is resoundingly NO. CPython is
>
> "This" being trying to micro-optimize code by bytecode-hacking.
>
>> not the sort of platform on which that kind of thing is ever worth
>> doing. You'll get far more performance by using Cython for parts, or
>> in some other way improving your code, than you will by hand-tweaking
>> the Python bytecode.
>
> I think that micro-optimization is probably the wrong reason to hack
> bytecodes. What I'm more interested in is exploring potential new
> features, or to add functionality

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/withhacks and
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/byteplay may also be of interest to
anyone wishing to seriously tinker with what the CPython VM (as
opposed to Python-the-language) already supports. I also highly advise
working Python 3.4, since we made some substantial improvements to the
dis module API (adding the yield from tests for 3.3 highlighted how
limited the previous API was for testing purposes, so we fixed it in a
way that made bytecode easier to work with in general).

Cheers,
Nick.