[Python-ideas] Infix functions

Chris Rebert pyideas at rebertia.com
Fri Feb 21 23:47:10 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:
> While we're discussing crazy ideas inspired by a combination of a long-abandoned PEP and Haskell idioms (see the implicit lambda thread), here's another: arbitrary infix operators:
>
>     a `foo` b == foo(a, b)

Prior discussion:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2007-January/000050.html

Which resulted in a new item in PEP 3099 ("Things that will Not Change
in Python 3000"; http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3099/ ):
    * No more backticks.
    Backticks (`) will no longer be used as shorthand for repr -- but
that doesn't mean they are available for other uses. Even ignoring the
backwards compatibility confusion, the character itself causes too
many problems (in some fonts, on some keyboards, when typesetting a
book, etc).

I think people using suboptimal fonts and keyboard layouts should find
better ones...

Cheers,
Chris