[Python-ideas] except expression

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 19 02:52:30 CET 2014

On 18/02/2014 23:43, Ethan Furman wrote:

>> -1 on bare excepts in the expression form.
>
> Agreed.
>
> --
> ~Ethan~
I'm prepared to concede this point (as if my opinion as a very junior
member of the Python community counted for much :-) ).  Nick Coghlan and
Steven D'Aprano made a very strong case in their posts.
My only real objection is that I would like consistency between "except"
statements and "except" expressions.
But I suspect that you (plural), if you had the chance to rewrite
history, would also want to disallow a bare "except" statement. (Would you?)
Nick, Steven, Ethan (and anybody else), are you willing to answer this
question?
No offence intended, but I'm curious.  No, I should be honest: I'm
hoping to score a debating point.
Best wishes,
Rob Cliffe