[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Dec 12 13:45:26 CET 2014

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 10:48:05 +0100
Todd <toddrjen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible to add an API, flag, or argument to pypi that lets
> automated services like Travis and py2pack to identify themselves as not
> being ordinary downloads?  Of course this would depend on the services
> making use of it, but they seem to be trying to be good members of the
> ecosystem so I would like to think they would.

Those services (or at least Travis) usually invoke hand-written
scripts, so this would rely on every developer being a "good citizen"
and updating their scripts to use that option.

Perhaps filtering by source IP would work better, if you could identify
the IPs used by Travis VMs and the like.

Regards

Antoine.