[Python-ideas] Annotations (and static typing)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:31:50 CEST 2014

On 20 August 2014 17:26, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> On 08/20/2014 09:04 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>> I expect that we'll find a way for type and other annotations to coexist
>> [...]
>
> Another thing to keep in mind, and which my scription utility will probably
> switch to, is that we are not stuck only with __annotations__ -- we can also
> add other attributes, such as __scription__ or __plac__ or
> __my_custom_stuff__ or whatever.
>
> It could easily be that coexisting means use a decorator instead of
> annotations, and store the info in a different attribute.  As a bonus this
> method is even 2.x compatible.

The obvious thought is, if a decorator is a sufficiently good
notation, is there any need for annotations at all (even for static
typing)?

But that argument does seem to imply that using annotations for
anything *other* than static typing is pointless. (As in, has more
disadvantages than advantages). I wonder if that's the real issue
here?

Paul