[Python-ideas] Proposal: Use mypy syntax for function annotations

Juancarlo Añez apalala at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 22:12:09 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:

> Yes. You say that as if it were a bad thing. It is not. Python 3 is
> here to stay and we should be promoting Python 3 only code. There is
> absolutely no need to apologise for that fact. If people are happy with
> Python the way it is in 2.7, or 1.5 for that matter, that's great, they
> can stay on it for ever, but all new features are aimed at 3.x and not
> 2.x or 1.x.

That's reasonable..., in theory.

Reality is that most of the people most supportive of the migration towards
Python 3 are currently writing code that is compatible with both 3.x and
2.[67].

You don't leave your people behind (not without a lifeboat).

Since its decided there will not be a 2.8, the right thing to do is to
delay decisions about static typing (or restrictions on annotations) till
4.0. It would be "a bad thing" to break or deprecate existing 3.x code with
3.5.

Cheers,
--
Juancarlo *Añez*