[Python-ideas] `OrderedDict.sort`

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 18:37:26 CEST 2013

On Sep 24, 2013, at 9:19, Ram Rachum <ram at rachum.com> wrote:

> If people here are opposed to allowing an implementation of `OrderedDict.sort` in the stdlib, I don't see a reason to waste my time putting an implementation on PyPI. What's that implementation going to help if you won't allow it anyway?

Do you not see the benefit to ipython, numpy, requests, the various popular web frameworks, fancy collections like blist, tools like scrapy, etc. being a simple pip away? Why wouldn't the same be true for your module?

A useful module on PyPI helps thousands of people who otherwise would have had to reproduce all the work themselves or settled for not having it. It also leads to de facto standard ways to do things, which makes it easier to communicate with devs on other projects. (Imagine trying to get help with "my custom multidimensional array class" or "a web scraper that I built from scratch" vs. numpy or scrapy.)

Do you think your idea is so trivial that there really is no benefit in any of that?