[Python-ideas] +1 button/counter for bugs.python.org

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 01:43:17 CEST 2013

On 23 September 2013 08:57, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 14:21:07 +0300
> > anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Does anybody think it is a good idea to personally approve good issues
> and
> >> messages on bugs.python.org?
> >
> > Bug voting would be ok (not for "good issues", but "issues people care
> > about"), but -1 on voting on messages. This isn't a popularity contest.
>
> Adding a +1 on issues seems fine, but I doubt it'll change anything. I
> think, for the most part, we're pretty aware of issues people care
> about that need to be fixed. We'll probably need to document the
> feature to set expectations for what those votes actually mean, which
> is probably close to nothing.
>
> I can mostly just see this being abused. "Remove the GIL" will get
> submitted, then posted to reddit, then we'll have 5,000 votes to
> remove the GIL and zero attempts to do it.

That's why I agree that the number of subscribers to the bug is a more
useful figure. If someone cares enough about a bug to be notified when it's
modified, that's someone who's really interested in the bug being fixed.

Unfortunately, the only subscription option (that I'm aware of) is nosy. I
think people might be willing to subscribe to be notified when a bug is
closed (or possibly even any time its status changes), but not want to
receive all the notifications you get when you're on the nosy list.

Tim Delaney