[Python-ideas] Introduce collections.Reiterable

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 21 09:08:05 CEST 2013

On Sep 20, 2013, at 23:56, Neil Girdhar <mistersheik at gmail.com> wrote:

>> You were, I agree.  But you proposed a new API, which pretty well
>> guarantees many discussants will take a more global view, like "do the
>> use cases justify this addition?"
>
> It's a good point.  I think if I'm the only with this problem, then the answer is clearly no.  I will just cast to list and so what if it's a little bit slower in some cases. How could I know that I was the only one with this problem?

That seems more than a little stubborn. Today, you can create a list iff you're given an iterator. You'd prefer to write that in terms of creating a list iff you're given a non-reiterable iterable. And, if you can't have that, screw all your users, you'll just always make a list?

And again, if you have an actual problem that iterator doesn't solve, I'd love to see it.