[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] PyParallel: alternate async I/O and GIL removal

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Nov 17 11:27:39 CET 2013

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 21:24:56 -0500
Trent Nelson <trent at snakebite.org> wrote:

>     And in hindsight, perhaps I need to put more emphasis on the fact
>     that it *is* very experimental work with a long-term view, versus
>     Tulip/asyncio, which was intended for *now*.  So although Tulip and
>     PyParallel spawned from the same discussions and are attempting to
>     attack the same problem

I don't think they are attempting to attack the same problem. asyncio
and similar frameworks (Twisted, Tornado, etc.) try to solve the issue
of I/O concurrency, while you are trying to solve the issue of CPU
parallelism (i.e. want Python to actually exploit several CPUs
simutaneously: asyncio doesn't really care about that, although it
has a primitive to let you communicate with subprocesses).

Yes, you can want to "optimize" static data serving by using several
CPU cores at once, but that sounds quite pointless except perhaps for a
few niche situations (and as Guido says, there are perfectly good
off-the-shelf solutions for efficient static data serving). I think
most people who'd like the GIL removed are not I/O-bound.

Regards

Antoine.