[Python-ideas] Stdlib YAML evolution (Was: PEP 426, YAML in the stdlib and implementation discovery)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 18:21:20 CET 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Philipp A. <flying-sheep at web.de> wrote:
>> it is PyYAML based, which is not an option for now as I see it.
>

> can you please elaborate on why this is the case? did Kirill Simonov say
> “no”?

We don't need full YAML spec implementation for package metadata format
in distutils (and for other configs too). Therefore..

Full YAML implementation by PyYAML may be good in general, but for this
simple case it is huge, unsafe, slow, C-based, which means the parsing
logic is not translatable (i.e. with PythonJS) and can not be optimized with
future platform-dependent GPU and CPU cache level 2 tweakers of PyPy
JIT.
--
anatoly t.