[Python-ideas] Line continuations with comments

Mike Graham mikegraham at gmail.com
Wed May 22 16:31:15 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Devin Jeanpierre
<jeanpierreda at gmail.com>wrote:

> The way I see it, either one believes that backslashes belong in
> Python -- and therefore they should be made as useful as possible --
> or that they do not -- and therefore they should be crippled. But if
> they don't belong in Python, they shouldn't be crippled, rather, they
> shouldn't even exist.
>
> A compromise should at least be internally consistent.

With changes a while back making backslash continuations never strictly
necessary, it seems like officially declaring backslash deprecated might be
reasonable. They are discouraged by PEP8 and other style guides and at this
point they violate the "There should be one-- and preferably only one
--obvious way to do it." principle.

Mike