[Python-ideas] Implicit string literal concatenation considered harmful (options)

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon May 20 19:12:22 CEST 2013

>> Really?  Isn't the number of programs breaking roughly equal to 2, perhaps
>> less?
>
> Interesting, how did you get that number?

I was making a joke using "unreasonable precision", but I would like
to actually see more than that (meaning: I don't think there is) in
the standard library.  There just isn't much, if at all, of a
programmatic reason to use such a construct.  It's 1) more typing, 2)
a highly improbably sequence that accidently worked by the programmer,
3) it doesn't really satisfy any conceptual separation that I can
envision (putting two string literals on the same line?  what possible
purpose?)

And this is the point -- it's more likely a programmer error.  Really,
I have a hard time believing that the number of programs that would
break being larger than a handful.   And to fix it is a no-brainer.

Mark