[Python-ideas] Implicit string literal concatenation considered harmful (options)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon May 20 00:33:50 CEST 2013

On 20 May 2013 05:24, "Ned Batchelder" <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:

> On 5/19/2013 2:58 PM, Mark Janssen wrote:
>>>
>>> We can't just "remove implicit concatenation", because that will break
code
>>> which is currently working perfectly. And probably it will break more
>>> working code than it will fix unnoticed broken code.
>>
>> Really?  Isn't the number of programs breaking roughly equal to 2,
perhaps less?

> Interesting, how did you get that number?

If it's based on the contents of these threads, be aware that at least one
core developer (me) and probably more have already mostly tuned out on the
grounds that the feature is obviously in wide enough use that changing it
will break the world without adequate gain. We don't even have to speculate
on what others might be doing, we know it would break *our* code.

For example, porting Fedora to Python 3 is already going to be a pain.
Breaking implicit string concatenation would be yet another road block
making that transition more difficult.

Cheers,
Nick.