[Python-ideas] improve Idle

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Mon May 13 16:57:43 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Terry Jan Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 5/10/2013 8:52 AM, Todd V. Rovito wrote:
>> On May 10, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Alexandre Boulay
>> <alexandre.boulay59 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think that could be a good idea to put colored  dots on idle's
>>> scroll bar for each def or class created,  each got its own color,

> I cannot really understand what you are proposing. The scroll bar is for
> scrolling, and it has the arrow buttons and the bar itself that would
> interfere with placing dots. Furthermore, scroll bars are widgets defined by
> tk and as far as I know, IDLE has no control over the detailed appearance.

I suspect he is suggesting that the scrollbar represent position in
the file in terms of "3 top level classes above, 2 below" instead of
just by line count.  This sounds straightforward as an overlay
graphic.

Perhaps even changing the navigation so that clicking on the scrollbar
at 1/3 of the way down will move you to 1/3 of the way down the file,
instead of "one page up from where you current are."  This would no
longer be a standard scrollbar, but it might well be better.

-jJ