[Python-ideas] Implicit string literal concatenation considered harmful?

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Sat May 11 16:21:02 CEST 2013

Please - check my e-mail correctly

On 11 May 2013 00:31, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> MRAB writes:
>
>  > I think I'd go more for a triple-quoted string with a prefix for
>  > dedenting and removing newlines:
>  >
>  > f = [m'''
>  >       abc
>  >       def
>  >       ghi
>  >      ''']
>  >
I think the prefix idea is obvious - and I used the letter "i" in my message -
for "idented" -0 it may be a pooorr choice indeed since it looks like
it may not be
noticed sometimes close to the quotes.

>  > where f == ['abcdefghi'].
>
> Cool enough, but

> ...       abc
> ...        def
> ...        ghi
> True

In my porposal, this woukld yield a Syntax Error - any contents of the
string would have to be
indented to the same level of the prefix. Sorry if that was not clear enough.