[Python-ideas] PEP: Extended stat_result (First Draft)

Pieter Nagel pieter at nagel.co.za
Mon May 6 22:11:02 CEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 21:47 +0200, Georg Brandl wrote:

> Please: we *do* know PEP 8 around here.  It is a good coding style, but its
> second section is the most important one of all.

If there had been pre-existing isxxx methods on stat_result, I would
certainly not have proposed adding is_yyy methods alongside them.

But what tips the scales for me is the fact that PEP 428 has been
heavily discussed over at python-dev for quite some time now, and it
also proposes is_file and the like, without that having been shot down.

I don't want to submit a proposal for "isfile" shortly after "is_file"
has already been accepted in a different context.

One could argue that os.path.isfile is what the new method should
conform to. But it that is not the route that PEP 428 takes, why should
I do it different in a related PEP that also deals with files?

If they change their mind on the methods in PEP 428 context, I'll follow
suit.

--
Pieter Nagel