[Python-ideas] PEP: Extended stat_result (First Draft)

Pieter Nagel pieter at nagel.co.za
Mon May 6 20:44:39 CEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 20:08 +0200, Georg Brandl wrote:
>  I already
> don't like the different names as methods on stat_result, but this is a
> completely new API so the confusion will be less (but still present).
> I don't understand why os.path needs to be touched at all.

My understanding is that PEP 8 applies to all new code intended for the
stdlib, so that forced me to change the names on the stat_result side;
the aliases on the os.path side were and attempt to then heal the
divergence that was created - since like you, I actually don't like the
fact that there are different names either.

The threading module, for example, introduced PEP 8 aliases as early as
2.6 (activeCount vs. active_count and the like). It's not like there's
been any kind of concerted effort to do this en-masse, but on the other
hand maybe the trend is to do this as and when parts of the stdlib are
'touched', as I do here.

I suspect this will only clarified if this PEP reaches python-dev.

--
Pieter Nagel