[Python-ideas] Personal views/filters (summaries) for discussions

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed May 1 11:00:47 CEST 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>wrote:

> If someone understood the entire discussion well enough to apply filters,
> etc, then we'd already have reached an agreement.

Perfect summary. Starting from this point, the problem I am trying to solve
is to share this line of coming to agreement with the other people.

The process of writing summaries or repeating previous arguments to find
out if a consensus is reached is very exhausting. If in real life I can see
a person and associate his position with his image, in the mailing list it
is just a continuous and contradictory flow of information where you can
not track people state. The role of filter or any other tool is thus two
fold:

1. track and name aspects of discussed topic
2. track people positions related to these aspect to find out if you
understand their objections

I am not saying that mailing lists should be replaced, but perhaps somebody
know a parallel tool (or process) to help with this stuff. I once used
piratepad in hope to write summaries and track important/big topics, but
copy/paste takes a lot of time, and it is very hard to track multiple
aspects in parallel in a single pad or in multiple pads. It might be
convenient if used collaboratively, but again - before a proper remote
collaboration practice could be developed, a experimental period of testing
this process in a teamwork is required.

Anti Off-Topic: This can be considered an idea for improvement of PEP
process (in addition to the idea of providing a feedback channel on PEP
pages).
--
anatoly t.