[Python-ideas] BufferedIO and detach

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Mar 4 22:21:52 CET 2013

On 5 March 2013 10:12, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>> The problem is that sys.stdin and sys.stdout default to
>> TextIOWrappers, and handling protocols requires bytes, so having a way
>> to drop down to bytes is very convenient.
>
> Why do you want to drop to bytes *after* having already buffered stuff
> in sys.{stdin,stdout}?

I don't (when reading), and for my purposes having the drop-down
process error when reads have been done at thetext layer would be
fine.

Writing is more ambiguous (for me, not as a problem statement), but
also works fine today so nothing is needed from my perspective.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist