[Python-ideas] Experimental package

João Bernardo jbvsmo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 16:42:56 CET 2013

> Is there really that much need to support 3.0? I write stuff all the time
> that requires 2.6, 2.7, or 3.2 or later, and I've had many people asking
> for 2.5, but not a single request for 3.1 or 3.0. Is that not typical?

Ubuntu LTS. Also when CentOS/RedHat start using Py3k, they will probably
choose the oldest possible release like they always do with everything...

> Now, if you had a partial version of "yield from" syntax on 3.1 that could
> solve 50% of the problems of the current syntax, it would be used a lot by
> now.
>

> But there wasn't a working version, partial or otherwise, to add at the
> time.

Because the PEP hasn't been accepted at the time and there was no way to
add experimental stuff to the language.

> And even if the usual rule of "no backports to bug fix releases" we're
> suspended, do you really have users who would gladly upgrade to a later
> 3.1, but can't upgrade to a later 3.x? In my experience, people who stick
> with an old version are doing it because "that's the version that comes
> with CentOS x.y" or similar. Are there any important OS/distro extended
> service releases that come with 3.1?
>
> Meanwhile, if you need a workaround, it's not that hard. I've got code
> that does this today: I have my nifty 3.3 module, and the fallback is in a
> separate module, so I can "import foo33 as foo" or "import foo26 as foo" as
> appropriate.

If I wanted to write a lot of boring duplicated code, I ought to use Java
instead. If I can't write it in a single code base (either using "2to3" or
"six" or similar) I don't write it.