[Python-ideas] PEP 426, YAML in the stdlib and implementation discovery

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 15:22:13 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Everyone argues against new standard library modules by default.
>
> YAML is the kind of thing that might make sense. It is a generally
> useful serialization format that fills a gap between ini, json, and
> xml, and it is a very stationary target.
>
> There seems to be some doubt about whether any of the existing
> libraries fit the bill.

+1

It makes sense to discuss having YAML in the standard library, because
constrained variants of it can be an excellent user facing
configuration file format that's easier to write than JSON or XML and
more powerful than ini files. For purely programmatic data
interchange, I'd still favour JSON or XML, but once humans get
involved, YAML is a good option to have availble.

While we are working hard to make the software distribution system
easier to use (especially out of the box), that's still a far cry from
educators and others being able to *assume* YAML is present whenever
Python is.

Cheers,
Nick.