[Python-ideas] Canceled versus cancelled (was Re: Interrupting threads)

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:54:24 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 8:18 AM, Richard Oudkerk wrote:
>>
>> On 29/01/2013 9:54am, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course, I sympathize with native English speakers who are annoyed
>>> by the prevalence of Globish over real English. That said, Python
>>> already mandates American English instead of British English.
>>

>> Is Future.cancelled() an acceptable American spelling?
>

> Slightly controversial, but 'Yes'. My 1960s Dictionary of the American
> language gives 'canceled' and 'cancelled'. Ditto for travel.  I see the same
> at modern web sites:
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cancel
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cancel
>
> Both give the one el version first, and that might indicate a preference.
> But I was actually taught in school (some decades ago) to double the els of
> travel and cancel have have read the rule various places. I suspect that is
> not done now. More discussion:

FWIW, my high school grammar teacher (who himself wrote a grammar
book) taught us a rule about this.  I can't remember the rule in its
entirety, but part of it involved the location of the accent.  If the
accent is on the last syllable, then the final consonant is doubled --
modulo the rest of the rule. :)  For example, "referring" and
"fathering."

Of course, there are exceptions.

--Chris