[Python-ideas] constant/enum type in stdlib

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jan 30 02:27:30 CET 2013

On Jan 28, 2013, at 11:50 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

>And it was not dismissed at all - to the contrary the last e-mail in the
>thread is a message from the BDLF for it to **be** ! The discussion happened
>in a bad moment as Python was mostly freature froozen for 3.2 - and it did
>not show up again for Python 3.3;

I still offer up my own enum implementation, which I've used and has been
available for years on PyPI, and hasn't had a new release in months because it
hasn't needed one. :)  It should be compatible with Pythons from 2.6 to 3.3.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/flufl.enum

The one hang up about it the last time this came up was that my enum items are
not ints and Guido though they should be.  I actually tried at one point to
make that so, but had some troublesome test failures that I didn't have time
or motivation to fix, mostly because I don't particularly like those
semantics.  I don't remember the details.

However, if someone *else* wanted to submit a branch/patch to have enum items
inherit from ints, and that was all it took to have these adopted into the
stdlib, I would be happy to take a look.

Cheers,
-Barry