[Python-ideas] csv.DictReader could handle headers more intelligently.

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Jan 29 20:19:30 CET 2013

Eric V. Smith writes:

 > Not true: I process some csv files just to translate them into another
 > format, say tab delimited. I don't care about the column names,

Then you'd be nuts to use csv.DictReader!  csv.reader does exactly
what you want.

DictReader is about transforming a data format from a sequence of rows
of values accessed by position, one of which might be a header, to a
headerless sequence of objects with values accessed by name.  If your
use case doesn't involve access by name, it is irrelevant.