[Python-ideas] Interrupting threads

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jan 29 19:07:48 CET 2013

On 1/29/2013 11:41 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 4:54 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>> Ditto here. Now it's not unusual to have to learn new vocabulary, but
>> "heed" is obscure and makes an API difficult to understand for me.
>
> As a native American English speaker, 'heed' is not obscure.

As I believe you have often said, we need some benchmark numbers.
According to Google's Ngram, 'heed' is still about 5 times more common
in American books than 'annoy' and 'sympathize', which you use in your
next sentence.

>> Of course, I sympathize with native English speakers who are annoyed
>> by the prevalence of Globish over real English.

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=heed%2Ccancel%2Cannoy%2Csympathize&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=17&smoothing=3&share=

Talking about obscure words, I have not seen 'Globish' before and I had
to search to discover that it was not your idiosyncratic coinage. I was
really surprised to find that there is even a Wikipedia entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globish

--
Terry Jan Reedy