[Python-ideas] PEP 3156: getting the socket or peer name from the transport

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jan 27 13:16:37 CET 2013

Le dimanche 27 janvier 2013 à 14:12 +0200, Yuval Greenfield a écrit :
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> wrote:
>         > Most protocols should be written independent of transport.
>         But it seems to
>         > me that a user might write an entire app as a "protocol".
>

>         Well, such an assumption can fall flat. For example,
>         certificate
>         checking in HTTPS expects that the transport is some version
>         of TLS or
>         SSL: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2818.html#section-3.1
>

> I'm not sure I understood your reply. You'd be for an api that exposes
> the underlying transport? I meant to say that "an entire app" entails
> control over the subtleties of the underlying transport.

What I meant is that the HTTP protocol needs to know that it is running
over a secure transport, and it needs to fetch the server certificate
from that transport (or, alternatively, it needs to have one of its
callbacks called by the transport when the certificate is known). That's
not entirely transport-agnostic.

Regards

Antoine.