[Python-ideas] 'const' and 'require' statements

David Townshend aquavitae69 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 08:22:01 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Haoyi Li <haoyi.sg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Compiler-enforced immutability is one of those really hard problems which,
> if you manage to do flexibly and correctly, would be an academically
> publishable result, not something you hack into the interpreter over a
> weekend.
>
> If you go the dumb-and-easy route, you end up with a simple "sub this
> variable with constant" thing, which isn't very useful (what about
> calculated constants?)
>
> If you go the slightly-less-dumb route, you end up with some mini-language
> to work with these `const` values, which has some operations but not the
> full power of python. This basically describes C Macros, which I don't
> think you'd want to include in python!
>
> If you go the "full python" route, you basically branch into two
> possibilities.
>
> - enforcement of `const` as part of the main program. If you do it
> hackily, you end up with C++'s `const` or Java's `final` declaration.
> Neither of these really make the object (and all of its contents!)
> immutable. If you want to do it properly, this would involve some sort of
> effect-tracking-system. This is really hard.
>
> - multi-stage computations, so the program is partially-evaluated at
> "compile" time and the `const` sections computed. This is also really hard.
> Furthermore, if you want to be able to use bits of the standard library in
> the early stages (you probably do, e.g. for things like min, max, len,
> etc.) either you'd need to manually start annotating huge chunks of the
> standard library to be available at "compile" time (a huge undertaking) or
> you'll need an effect-tracking-system to do it for you.
>

> In any case, either you get a crappy implementation that nobody wants (C
> Macros) something that doesn't really give the guarantees you'd hope for
> (java final/c++ const) or you would have a publishable result w.r.t. either
> effect-tracking (!) or multi-stage computations (!!!).
>
> Even though it is very easy to describe the idea (it just stops it from
> changing, duh!) and how it would work in a few trivial cases, doing it
> properly will likely require some substantial theoretical breakthroughs
> before it can actually happen.
>

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
>> wrote:
>> > Another question: what happens if the constant expression can't be
>> > evaluated until runtime?
>> >
>> > x = random.random()
>> > const k = x + 1
>> >
>> > y = k - 1
>> >
>> > What value should the compiler substitute for y?
>>
>> That should be disallowed. In the declaration of a constant, you have
>> to use only what can be handled by the constants evaluator. As a rule
>> of thumb, it'd make sense to be able to use const with anything that
>> could safely be evaluated by ast.literal_eval.
>>
>> As to the issues of rebinding, I'd just state that all uses of a
> [...]
As has already been pointed out, syntax to allow compile-time optimisations
doesn't really make much sense in python, especially considering the
optimisations Pypy already carries out.  Some sort of "finalise" option may
be somewhat useful (although I can't say I've ever needed it).  To avoid
adding a new keyword it could be implementer as a function, e.g.
finalise("varname") or finalise(varname="value").  In a class, this would
actually be quite easy to implement by simply replacing the class dict with
a custom dict designed to restrict writing to finalised names.  I haven't
ever tried changing the globals dict type, but I imagine it would be
possible, or at least possible to to provide a method to change it.  I
haven't thought through all the implications of doing it this way, but I'd
rather see something like this than a new "const" keyword.

David