[Python-ideas] Optional keepsep argument in str.split()

Bruce Leban bruce at leapyear.org
Thu Aug 29 08:26:34 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Jared Grubb <jared.grubb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Split and join are inverses, so it's lossless.

That's not true. If a separator is specified, it's lossless, but not in
this case:

>>> 'a b  c    d'.split()
['a', 'b', 'c', 'd']
>>> ' '.join('a b  c    d'.split())
'a b c d'

I don't see a compelling use case for modifying split though. If I wanted
to keep separators around, I'd probably want to work with lists like these:

or

and changing split to return either of those would be a bad idea.

--- Bruce
I'm hiring: http://www.cadencemd.com/info/jobs
Latest blog post: Alice's Puzzle Page http://www.vroospeak.com
Learn how hackers think: http://j.mp/gruyere-security