[Python-ideas] Add 'interleave' function to itertools?

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 20:08:09 CEST 2013

On 9 August 2013 17:54, Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> They should at least go in a different module. Currently each of those
>> recipes is already available in more-itertools (including the proposed
>> first()):
>> http://pythonhosted.org/more-itertools/api.html
>
> How is that a problem? Unless you're doing "from itertools import *" and "from more_itertools import *" (and care which one you get) there's no possible conflict.

Sorry I didn't mean that they should go in a different module because
of more-itertools. I was just mentioning more-itertools at the same
time.

They should go in a different module because itertools is a very
carefully designed minimal set of primitives and I think it's bad to
pollute that by throwing in any old thing for convenience (and based
on his previous comments I'm pretty sure Raymond that's how Raymond
feels.

Oscar