[Python-ideas] Pre-PEP: adding a statistics module to Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Aug 3 09:15:46 CEST 2013

On 03/08/13 12:15, Andrew Barnert wrote:

> Is there any reason to believe that this module would not benefit from wider exposure and use before finalizing it? Is it so urgent that we can't afford to wait for that to happen? Is it inappropriate for PyPI for some reason?

Based on my experience with the module here:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/stats/

I believe that people will use a standard library module if it is available, or they will download and install a full-featured numpy style package if they are serious, heavy users of numerical code, but the sort of casual users who just want to calculate the average of a bunch of numbers, or calculate the standard deviation for some school work, aren't likely to download a third-party package.

--
Steven