[Python-ideas] Remove tty module

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Fri Aug 2 14:53:45 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013, at 0:47, Andrew Barnert wrote:
> The quasi-standardized core of conio is definitely not enough to write a
> windowing library. Although some of the old DOS implementations had
> gotoxy, setfg, and setbg functions, the Win32 implementations don't have
> those; they just have… well, the same functions as MSVCRT's console APIs,
> which the stdlib already wraps

Yes, but it wraps them in msvcrt; I'm proposing moving it to a
cross-platform "conio" module.

I had for some reason thought there was a gotoxy function in there.
Regardless, that's no reason not to add one to the python library.

As for kbhit, you could probably implement it on unix with a call to
select. If the tty file descriptor is ready for reading, then return
true. The one possible wrinkle is that getwch could block if an
incomplete multibyte character is read - something that cannot happen on
windows.