[Python-ideas] Deprecate the round builtin

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 03:14:32 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Mike Graham <mikegraham at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The builtin round function is completely useless. I've never seen
>> anyone use it constructively. Usually people using it are new
>> programmers who are not comfortable with or aware of string
>> formatting. Sometimes people use it to poorly replicate functionality
>> that's implemented correctly in the decimal module.
>
> You're probably right. It has ancient ancestry: it was one of the
> functions I copied directly from ABC. (It's actually more useful now
> that floats are printed with minimal digits.)
>
> But given the pain of removing a builtin, is it worth it? maybe we can
> just document the better ways of accomplishing its tasks?

I think it is reasonable with the right justifications, deprecation period, and
obvious migration path.

Also, I'd be completely in support of dropping round() and agree it gets misused
and leads to too much confusion. We should promote the right ways, and some
times to show the right path you need to lock another door and throw
away the key.

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy