[Python-ideas] Deprecate the round builtin

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Sep 26 23:29:20 CEST 2012

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> In calculations, statistics, numeric, etc. such corner cases are
> not all that common, so things are not as bad as they may appear
> on first sight.

If the corner cases don't matter, I'd say you don't
need to round your internal representations in the
first place. Rounding on output is sufficient and
probably preferable.

If they *do* matter -- such as when cents need to
add up exactly -- you're much better off using
Decimals. Two-argument round() is an attractive
nuisance in that case, IMO.

--
Greg