[Python-ideas] docs.python.org

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 06:46:07 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-26, at 10:55 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> 3.3 is now out 29 months after 2.7, library support is much improved, and the new unicode implementation fixes most to almost all the remaining problems with unicode. It is a release we can be proud of and should promote as the latest and greatest Python version.

I feel the same.

On the one hand I understand position to keep 2.7 as default here and there,
as it's currently used more; but on the other, here is what we have:

- default documentation page - 2.7

- python.org home page: New to Python or choosing between Python 2 and Python 3?
Read Python 2 or Python 3

- python.org downloads:
-- The current production versions are Python 2.7.3 and Python 3.3.0.
-- If you don't know which version to use, start with Python 2.7; more existing
third party software is compatible with Python 2 than Python 3 right now.
-- First links to downloads - 2.7

Isn't it too much of python 2?  What is the impression after all of this?
Python 2.7 is the current and recommended version.

I think that the message should be clear, and after 3 years it's time to say
that python 3 is always the preferred way.  After all, people are not dumb,
if they use python 2 they can go and download it, and they certainly can find
docs for it as well.

-
Yury