[Python-ideas] The async API of the future

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Oct 21 01:53:06 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> The point is that, with a completion-based model, you need a function
> or method for every possible system call that you might want to perform
> asynchronously.

TBH, I like APIs that wrap all system calls. System calls have too
many low-level details that you have to be aware of, and they too
often vary per platform. (I just wrote a simple event loop plus
scheduler along the lines of your essay, extending it to the point
where I could do basic, fully-async, HTTP exchanges. The number of
details I had to take care of was excruciating; and then there were
the subtle differences between OSX and Ubuntu.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)