[Python-ideas] PEP 428 - object-oriented filesystem paths

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Oct 15 03:45:49 CEST 2012

I would like to see some backwards compatibility here. ;)

In other words, add method names where reasonable (such as .child or
.children instead of or along with built-in iteration) so that this new
Path beast can be backported to the 2.x line. I'm happy to take that
task on if Antoine has better uses of his time. What this would allow is
a nice shiny toy for the 2.x series, plus an easier migration to 3.x
when the time comes.

While I am very excited about the 3.x branch, and will use it whenever I
can, some projects still have to be 2.x because of other dependencies.
If the new Path doesn't have conflicting method or dunder names it would
be possible to have a str-based 2.x version that otherwise acted
remarkably like the non-str based 3.x version -- especially if the
__strpath__ concept takes hold and Path objects can be passed around the
os and os.path modules the way strings are now.

~Ethan~